Which (human) food is toxic to a cat?

Probably as a catmom you regularly eat a piece (or 2, or 3) of chocolate. However, chocolate is dangerous for a cat. With the consequences that your cat may vomit, get respiratory problems, may have acute attacks or strokes. Even a coma or death can result.

Which (human) food is toxic to a cat catmom official

The myth that milk is good for your cats health


Poisoning (intoxication) can already be caused by a small amount of alcohol in cats. Never give your cat alcohol. The body temperature can also rise to a dangerous height and the blood sugar level can fall dangerously.


What you may not have known about your favorite vegetable is that it contains the toxin persin. In cats, this causes vomiting, diarrhea and heart problems.

Bread dough

This is mainly due to the yeast that can expand in your cat’s stomach. This can also be fatal for your cat. In addition, alcohol is released when the yeast multiplies, which can also lead to poisoning in your cat.


If your cat eats a piece of chocolate, it can even be fatal. Because it contains caffeine and theobromine. Store your chocolate bar well so that you can eat the whole bar yourself, but also so that your cat cannot accidentally eat from it.

Garlic and onion

For catmoms often the best seasoning for a meal. For that reason never give your cat a piece of your own meal. Garlic and onion can cause serious complaints in cats, such as a gastrointestinal infection. They can also affect the red blood cells, with the result that blood can get into the urine and cause serious anemia.

Macedamian nuts

The king of nuts but certainly not a royal meal for your cat. This can cause tremors at your cat and he will also stand limp on its paws.


It is one of the biggest misunderstandings that milk is good for your cat. Milk can give your cat very nasty digestive disorders. (Special lactose-free cat milk is available if you really want to give your cat a drink of milk).

Raisins and grapes

If your cat eats raisins or grapes, it can make him very sick. With vomiting, diarrhea or acute kidney problems as a result.


The chemical substitute for sugar xylitol can cause a low blood sugar level (hypoglycaemia) in your cat. Even when your cat receives a very small amount of xylitol. Therefore, never brush your cat’s teeth with normal toothpaste, but always use a special toothpaste for cats. Also keep candy and chewing gum far away from your cat, this often also contains xylitol.


Excessively salted bits from your own food or other salty foods can be dangerous for your cat. A teaspoon of salt can be a deadly amount for your cat.

Has your cat accidentally eaten something that he is not allowed to do? Always contact your veterinarian for safety.

In addition to food, some indoor plants are also toxic to cats.